Friday, May 8, 2009

The BKNY

(photo via Flickr)

Skimming the New York Times yesterday evening, tired of reading about banks needing more money, GM needing more money, GMAC needing more money, guess what? I need more money! I saw a little article called Made In Brooklyn. This just made my heart sing! I love seeing good publicity about the arts and design coming out of Brooklyn. My short time living in Park Slope made me fall in love with the area and I can't help but support it. Starting today, the seventh annual Bkln Designs show kicks off in the Dumbo neighborhood's warehouses. Lots of local artists will be there selling one of kind pieces. A great experience to check out some cutting edge design. According to the NY Times, "A design scene is flourishing in Brooklyn." Duh! There are some great home furnishing shops (as well as fashion boutiques) everywhere from Carroll Gardens to Park Slope to Prospect Heights to Clinton Hill. To get an extensive list of shops as well as a background on the Bkln Designs show, check out the article here. And here are a couple of my personal recommendations: Linda & Harriett, they do beautiful letterpress stationary. They also have a cute little blog to check out. And the other is Scaredy Kat Cards & Gifts. Can you tell I have a thing for paper? They also have cute and unique gifts for that someone who has everything (or not). It's really exciting to see such a change of gears in the design world- fresh, young talent coming from Brooklyn instead of the City. 

No comments:

Post a Comment